Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Fashion Existentialism

Yo, I liked my outfit today, and it's been a while since you all have seen my self-timer skills, so here you go.
First: the real pictures. The most normal ones I managed to take, anyways.


     I got this dress at a precious consignment store on spring break (it has POCKETS), shirt from Urban Outfitters, and necklace from Forever 21. I like to explore all sides of the spectrum, clearly.
     I've noticed something new (finally-- I was getting bored) in the layering world. Items with sleeves under items without sleeves. Granted, this isn't "new". I remember seeing Ashley Tisdale on The Suite Life do a red tank top over a different-red short sleeved T-shirt, circa 2008, and I tried, like, three times to replicate it, to no avail. 
     Which begs the question: Is anything ever really "new" in the fashion world? I guess everything had to be new at some point, realistically speaking. But seriously. The 90's only took 10 years to come back with their high-waisted and crop-topped glory. But that decade in turn borrowed from the 50's, who also had mom jeans down to a science, as well as the tying-a-knot-on-the-bottom-of-button-down thing. They also had skater skirts out the wazoo, just of the poodle brand. The shift is back, and I'm pretty sure Lily got that idea from Zelda Fitzgerald.
     One could go further. Pretty sure John Wayne had Pharrell's hat. Women stole capris from the pantaloons of the Revolutionary War. Pretty sure Jesus wore Birkenstocks. Where did it all begin?
     Let's go back to the beginning (a very good place to start, so I'm told). In the beginning, God created animal coverings for Adam and Eve. Screwing up human history aside, I bet they looked pretty fierce in their leopard-skin coats. Then they did the whole long robes thing with a rope tied around it. And Birkenstocks, can't forget those. I bet there were kings that slayed in their long purple embroidered robes. Ninjas had that monochrome thing down-pat. The Greeks have credit for the one-shoulder game. They all looked fresh to death in togas. 
     I guess the answer to the "where" question is answered with another question: where didn't fashion begin? Every civilization had their own "thing". And it would appear that the reasons for each of these contributions came out of necessity. Ninjas couldn't be seen. Adam and Eve needed to be covered, and fast. The Greeks has a surplus of bedsheets lying around (I kid, I kid). 
     And that concludes our History of Fashion course. You all get A's. Even though I don't have my teaching license (shh). 
     For extra credit: 5 points on the next test for not laughing at my picture bloopers. Seriously, look at them, they are even better than my real pictures. 

Photobomb level: Squishy, my cat. Yeah, that's her name. No, I hope that isn't prophetic, even though she does hide under my car frequently...
A second too late to pose there, dear.

Not accidental, per say. I was just frazzled. Self timers are hard. 

That's enough of that, now. Everyone have a good week, and I will let you know the next time I put items under items and wear them in public.

1 comment:

  1. You are so beautiful, and your clothes are beautiful, and your hair is so good. I often admire other people’s hair, and i often bought Cosplay wigs to please myself, just shown as www.eshopcos.com

    ReplyDelete